Welcome! I'm Michelle Marks,
I'm a New York State Licensed Psychologist and I specialize in offering support and solutions for Women's Stress Syndrome, a term I coined to describe the unique way stress manifests in women.
I've seen the damage that years and even decades of stress can cause for women. When we're young, we usually don't notice the problem - we're too busy being busy, or being "good". It seems normal. But as we get older, it begins to take a toll - on our happiness, relationships, ability to perform at our best and enjoy our lives, our sense of purpose and meaning, and even our health.
About Women's Stress Syndrome
Life today is stressful for all of us. But women's stress can be different than men's in many important ways and is determined by our unique biology, genetics, and the culture and environment in which we live. The accumulation of trauma, even small social traumas we experience when we're very young and trauma passed through the generations also play a role in the development of Women's Stress Syndrome.
In addition to the stress we experience trying to balance and manage all our roles and responsibilities, here are some of the many other common symptoms of Women's Stress Syndrome:
- Low self-confidence and self-esteem
- Feeling scattered, empty, or like you're just going through the motions
- Difficulty knowing yourself, standing your ground, or advocating for yourself
- Emotional problems including anxiety, depression, anger, and even guilt and shame
- Food, weight, and body image challenges
- Fatigue, depletion, and exhaustion
- Trouble slowing down, letting go, or relaxing, even when you have the chance
- Stress-related medical conditions including chronic pain, high blood pressure, headaches, and certain autoimmune and digestive conditions
- And obviously, feeling overwhelmed or stressed
Every one of these symptoms and experiences, ranging from little nuisances to more serious emotional and health challenges, can be the result of women's chronic stress.
A Failure to Flourish
Flourishing is growing toward your full potential, becoming your best self, and experiencing happiness, peace of mind, purpose, and satisfaction.
We were each born with the capacity to flourish. And that's not just flowery talk, because when we don't flourish, we wither, and our unfulfilled needs become our afflictions. Women's Stress Syndrome causes us to fail to flourish. My purpose is to help you eliminate the obstacles and optimize the conditions that will help you restore that natural drive to grow, thrive, and flourish!
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was greater than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin.